CouchDB was already established when I started TiddlyWiki 5 in 2011, and
I'd been following it with interest. Not only did it have solid
synchronisation functionality, at the time it had intriguing features for
hosting JavaScript applications, long before Node.js.

I think there were a few reasons that I didn't personally take CouchDB
further in TiddlyWiki 5:

* TiddlyWiki's internal store needs to offer a synchronous API, but CouchDB
offers only async APIs. That means there would always be a requirement for
a sync process between TWs synchronous DB and the CouchDB API, which means
that TW still has to handle synchronisation
* The difficulties of setting up and running a server of my own
* The lack of CouchDB online services

I was delighted to see Danielo's work with NoteSelf, and it deservedly
attracted a lot of interest. It demonstrated that CouchDB can be
retrofitted onto TW5 just like any other database with an async API.

Best wishes

Jeremy