I pasted your code (slightly adapted to the german language notation) in a
tiddler and it works. Thank you very much!

\define fileDate()
<$list filter="[!sort[modified]limit[1]]">
<$view field="modified" format="date" template="DDD, DD. MMM YYYY,
0hh:0mm"/> Uhr.
</$list>
\end
Letzte Ă„nderung: <<fileDate>>

This is the current output:

Letzte Ă„nderung: Wednesday, 24. September 2014, 16:14 Uhr.

I try to update my existing teaching materials from [TWc] to [TW5] for my
german speaking pupil. Is it possible to set the days of week and the
months to german language?

@Eric Shulman:

Are you planning to adapt your sophisticated plugins, which you provide at
tiddlytools.com to the new TW5? (I love them since years ago when I started
to make teaching materials because of their high quality, their further
development and the very well documentation.)

Greetings,

Uwe