> I'm working in a Windows 7 environment with Firefox 35.0... which I
> believe is the latest. I get the double click selects the word and code
> adds the backticks but I don't see them disappearing. I wonder if this is
> something specific to Windows 8.1. hmmm

Well Mario, now I'm seeing it.  It seems to hit me about every other time I
do the edit the way you suggest which I suspect is the sort of behaviour
that drives programmers up a wall. I'll have to pursue this. Thanks for
pointing that out.

Did you try the last three buttons as well? They take a more extensive
selection than you'd get with a double click and work somewhat differently.