Tobi:

I've been working with "Unicode values as tags" for a few years now and am
having reasonable success thinking of them as a very large "alphabet".

Unfortunately (as the unicode consortium freely cautions), the order of the
characters is not necessarily in the same order as expect by the users of
the natural language)s) in which the letters originate.  Obviously, this
can cause apparent SORT inconsistencies.

That being said, I've been quite successful in identifying long strings of
characters that do have "expected" sort sequences, so I've been able to
create some very long "vectors" that I can index through.  This is
particularly powerful when combined with your cycleTags macro since its
possible to create "mixed radix positional notation)s" that become a very
powerful "Number System" that effectively creates a structure for all of
the left-most values.  I have good results explaining this staring with an
"odometer" analogy and then suggesting that each of the "positions" in the
number can have a different base.  Canadians catch on quite quickly since
our postal codes are ANA-NAN  e.g. M1C-3L3 which equates to  ...

 13X26^5 + 1x10^4 + 3x26#3 + 3x10^2 + 12x26^1 + 3x10^0

It may not be obvious how this relates to what I believe you are working
on, but I would be happy to try to make it clear, if you are interested.

Cheers (and gratitude for all of your many contributions to this community),
Hans

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9d745137-5179-45d4-84f0-99e24fc8f33f%40googlegroups.com.