Let me start by saying that Matabele's explanation is a good expansion of
what I was starting to express. I believe this is a relatively large topic
that may be "slippery" to grasp, but I have found it to be worth the
struggle.

With respect to the reference to "vectors", it may be easier to consider
the individual sequences of tags to "dimensions", each increment of which
is named (or represented) is an arbitrary character.  In Matabele's
example: 32 weeks, 5 days, ...   I have simple recognized that ...

* There are 26 letters in our alphabet x 2 ( assuming case sensitivity) =
52 distinct symbols A-z.  I use these to "name" the weeks.  To ensure that
I have unique names for each week, I simply pick a unicode range that has a
different set of code points of these apparently similar 52 symbols.  Then,
its very easy to create a field of these 52 symbols that cycleTags lets be
increment to move items from one week to the next.  Obviously another field
can have these symbols in reverse order, to decrement the values via
cycleTags.

* In a hierarchical context (for "zoom" purposes), I often use a set of
symbols for different levels of encapsulation.
** e.g. Millennium, Century, Decade, Year, Quarter, Month, Fortnight, Week,
Day, Hour
*** In this case I find it easiest to make use of the Chinese characters
fpr Day Week (telegraphy) Month, (astronomical) Year since they are easily
recognized, single characters that can even be used as leading or trailing
sigils, in either the tiddler name or the tag value.

I have worked at this long enough and explained it to to enough groups that
I know thus can be a bit hard to grasp.  Since it seems to come up
frequently throughout my activities, I'll try to put together a minimal
explanation in a TwFive file.  Unfortunately, that won't happen quickly
since I am fully pre-occupied building a new house, in a new city and
disposing of the current home until late spring.

I should, however, have time to participate in further in these
discussions.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e80c13fc-a028-4c3e-a30f-062edb3d95c4%40googlegroups.com.