Thank you for the suggestion, but that does not provide the behaviour I
want. It substitutes the link text with its value from the json file.

What I want to do is istead of replacing the item, I want to show it, I
could use a Tiddler to get the same functionality but then then each
Glossary term is in a separate Tiddler with all the overhaeds in
maintenance that entails and they are not all in one place. I could tag
them with a Glossary tag and collect them under one Tiddler.

But I think it would be much simpler, to use the existing linking structure
and be able to go to a point in a Tiddler, and not just the Tiddler.

I hope that makes it clear.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/76463a3b-d541-4db7-a9da-7771b1217610%40googlegroups.com.