Hi Mat,

And, actually, where/what is "the Dev channel"? a google hangout?

> <:-)

I did a  search for your funny little dunce-hat emoticon in the
TiddlyWikiDev <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tiddlywikidev>
forums, and came across many instances of posts you've made there, so I
know you know about "the Dev channel".

I totally agree with the primacy of the single file, offline TiddlyWiki.
The whole reason I started using TiddlyWiki in the first place, as an ex
network admin, was the simple fact that I didn't need to spin up a server
stack in order to get TW working. If not for that one fact, I'd have stayed
with using MediaWiki for my home network.

Apart from my main personal use of TW which brought me here, I've since
started work on another project which I've been dreaming about for years,
and only since meeting the single-file TiddlyWiki have I been confident
enough to give it a go. That project (from my perspective, anyway) is
reliant on the single-file nature of TW if it is to succeed with its
intended target audience. I know some people may consider a single-user,
single-file CRM system to be severely hobbled, but TiddlyCRM is no
traditional CRM, and will be focused on the home user, who may not have the
expertise to spin up a server stack (either online or local), and who
definitely wouldn't want their confidential contact data to be available
online.

So, to me, the biggest "argument against server dependency" is the low
entry-point for non-technical users. Jeremy has recently been speaking in
the *{{DesignWrite}}* weekly Conversations about treating TiddlyWiki wikis
as documents, similar to MS Word / LibreOffice Writer documents. You create
them on the fly, many of them, as and when you need them, and dispose of
them at will. That level of knowledge is what I expect from the intended
audience for TiddlyCRM. I certainly don't expect they'll be ready for
Node.js.

Hegart.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3de14f95-535f-476e-93d4-688af4393f3c%40googlegroups.com.