Hi Tobias, Danielo,

There’s some discussion here about the technical difficulties that we ran into 
when we tried to add support for action widgets to the checkbox widget:

https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/1564#issuecomment-142291357 
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/pull/1564#issuecomment-142291357>
https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2217 
<https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/2217>

The solution that I implemented earlier this year of adding an “actions” 
attribute isn’t ideal, but it does work.

The design of TiddlyWiki5 was very much made up as I went along. When I started 
it wasn’t clear that my central idea was practical: to break the user interface 
of a wiki into the smallest possible primitives, and compose them with 
wikitext. That goal is a direct consequence of my broader goal to enable people 
without conventional developer experience to create custom applications.

There are now a bunch of areas of the design where I can say firmly that I 
wouldn’t do it that way now — that’s true even some quite fundamental aspects 
of TW5: I now believe, for instance, that the basic model of a tiddler isn’t 
correct.

However, I’ve learned again and again to value backwards compatibility, and so 
have been prevented from fixing many of the design issues. (Another example 
would be the inconsistent use of $ to prefix widget attributes; believe it or 
not, there was once a consistent system, but it broke down over time as I 
learned that my initial scheme wasn’t workable).

>From my own perspective, I’ve learned to live with the imperfections of things 
>like TiddlyWiki. The alternative of frequent breaking changes would make 
>TiddlyWiki such a moving target that there would be little chance of a 
>non-developer community emerging.

Best wishes

Jeremy

> On 22 Dec 2016, at 07:38, Tobias Beer <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Danielo,
>  
> It may be simple, but it is not obvious neither consistent. Every piece of 
> tiddlywiky works its own way, it's a bit of pain to remember all the moving 
> parts. This is just one more piece on the puzzle
> 
> From a perspective of modularity,
> outsourcing exhaustive action code into discrete,
> even reusable chunks is the right thing to do ...for me.
> 
> Overloading a widget attribute with heaps of wikitext,
> now that's what I would call inconsistent when I look at it.
> Sure that'll work, but from a developer's pov it's awful.
> It's like writing mountains of js directly into some
> onclick="javascrit:alert('foo');" handler.
> Preferably, you just don't do that.
> It's separation of concerns 101.
> 
> Best wishes,
> 
> Tobias.
> 
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "TiddlyWiki" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki 
> <https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit 
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d4210098-3b72-4a19-a0cb-d8b0769df0f3%40googlegroups.com
>  
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/d4210098-3b72-4a19-a0cb-d8b0769df0f3%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout 
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"TiddlyWiki" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywiki.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/C187C48A-9B4B-4704-B820-53AA24F31908%40gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to