Putting this

.myTextEdit { width:50em; height:10em !important; }
in a tiddler tagged $:/tags/Stylesheet

And putting this in a different tiddler

\define bignotes(side)
<$edit-text tiddler="notesInFields" field="$(currentTiddler)$.$side$"
class="tw-edit-texteditor
myTextEdit"  tag="textarea">
\end
<<bignotes>>

gives me a textbox I can write contents to. However, when I save the
TiddlyWiki file, close it  and open it again, everything what I’ve written
is gone. What am I doing wrong?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8d0cac3f-4177-4bfc-999b-2909ca739841%40googlegroups.com.