Hi Thomas, thanks for the info, but as a relative newbie I am a bit lost.
If I put it into context, does that mean the following?:

Putting this

.myTextEdit { width:50em; height:10em !important; }
in a tiddler tagged $:/tags/Stylesheet

And putting this in a different tiddler named
$:/temp/notes/tiddlerTitle-left (which before was a 'normal' tiddler with
upper cases in the title). What happens with the notesInField tiddler?

\define bignotes(side)
<$edit-text tiddler="notesInFields" field="$(currentTiddler)$.$side$"
class="tw-edit-texteditor
myTextEdit"  tag="textarea">
\end
<<bignotes>>

Sorry for the questions but as an ordinary user I'm still on a steep
learning curve. I think what I am after is just an amended version of my
macro that works. Anyway you're all doing a terrific job on this
magnificent piece of software; so much appreciated!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f842a765-8fc6-467f-bef0-e7a79062565b%40googlegroups.com.