In another thread, fellow Josiah asked the folowing. Rather than hijacking
that thread I'm replying here:

Mat, could you write a plugin that records plugins?

Regarding my own plugins, I should get my TWaddle site active again, to
list them. (I've started working a little on this.)

Generally, I hope people know about Erwan's TiddlyWiki Community Search
<http://erwanm.github.io/tw-community-search/>. It allows you to search all
tiddlers on TWs that have been "reported" to it and it performs an
automated *daily update* to show which tiddlers (plugins etc) that have
been updated. BUT, again, it can only scan TWs that have been 'reported' to
it or TWs that are listed in a "root wiki",
<http://erwanm.github.io/tw-community-search/#FollowUrlFeature>i.e a TW
that links to other TWs. As evidenced, even if it scans daily (and it
does), the reporting bit is a bottleneck. (For example, I don't have it in
mind when creating my own plugins, which are on separate tiddlyspot
domains, and while TWaddle IS a reported root wiki it is currently passive,
so...)

Also, ironically, the Community Search project suffers from the very
problem it aims to solve: It is not obvious how one should get informed
about its existence.

*...now what we really need* is a system where *ones own wiki* performs
such a scan. And somehow you could get recommendations, via your scans, for
other wikis or plugins or whatever.

Yes, TWederation.

Let me add that we have the pieces for this in place and it works. It is,
however, still not polished and it is currently too slow to be practical.

For those that don't know, here's a quick run thought on how it could be
designed:

*How to find plugins / tiddlers / whole TWs*Similar to how the native
plugin library works, there can be a default feature in standard TW to
"Fetch"... i.e to scans the wikis you "subscribe" to, to get you tiddlers
or other information. You decide to subscribe to, and you decide what
tiddlers to actually fetch from the TWs you subscribe to.

*How do you know what wikis you can subscribe to? How do you find them?*
The main route is via wikis you *already* subscribe to, i.e other peoples
wikis that in turn subscribe to other wikis and so you can peek on their
lists. That is a "quality stamp". Or someone even has a tiddler with
@<yourname> and recommends stuff for you.

But how did anyone find any wikis to begin with? Well, that's easy because
it is only *cruciual* for kicking things off. We could have a listing on
tiddlywiki.com or even in the discussion forum.

*The key here is information that is created out of individuals personal
incentive for quality in their own TWs.* You *care* about which plugins you
have installed. This is "stamp of quality", and I'm curious to see which
those plugins are. Everyone has an *incentive *to curate their plugins or
really all of their tiddlers. This is in stark contrast to rely on single
individuals efforts to keep some external list curated.

And the TWederation plugin itself (again, think of the existing "Plugin
Library") could come with a "recommended-subscriptions-list" and this is
kept up to date by... you guessed it; fetching. (And who curates *that*
list? It's too detailed to go into that here but, trust me, it's not a
problem.)

*One limitation is that you can only subscribe/fetch from TWs that are
online.*True, but many are. Especially if we're talking about TWs where
people present their plugins.

The result is an infrastructure that doesn't rely on a single individual to
keep track of everything but instead aggregates small tidbits that several
people make about several issues.

It is also an infrastructure that would easify development of the
infrastructure itself. You can easily be informed about plugins that
enhance TWederation!

*...that is the concept of TWederation.*

<:-)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/08e2408c-31a8-4257-95a7-9e693775f276%40googlegroups.com.