On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 10:28:58 AM UTC-4, Danielo Rodríguez wrote:

> Hello Lost Admin
>
> El miércoles, 12 de julio de 2017, 15:04:32 (UTC+2), Lost Admin escribió:
>>
>> Danielo,
>>
>> With regards to your last question:
>>
>> Short-ish answer: http://thelostadmin.tiddlyspot.com/#6th%20July%202017
>>

> Seems that you have created a very complete and good manual on how to host
> your own CouchDB server and make NoteSelf work with it. I'll love to see
> such manual in a pull request to noteself.github.io repository, so other
> users can take advantage from it.

It isn't (yet) complete as far as covering what I want. I'll try to
remember to let you know when it is so we can work to include it in the
noteself github.

>> The VM is also running a web server (lighttpd). I copied your "online"
>> Noteself to my web server and removed the google analytics plugin.
>>

> Is local storage important for you? I mean, using the browser as a
> temporary or intermediate memory. If not, you can save the lighttpd server
> using the other plugin I have mentioned before.

Local storage, as in the pouchdb that you have in Noteself, is important
for what I'm trying to do. As is having a solid how-to make a complete
solution. I'm working on taking your idea of Noteself being an alternative
to evernote to the next step by documenting set-up of all of the needed
infrastructure (web server couchdb, etc.). Okay, so my real goal is to make
it easier to use tiddlywiki from my phone (tiddlyspot doesn't work offline)
and sync with desktop (something screwy with tiddlywiki, tiddlyspot and
browser cache).

> I successfully created a test Noteself and confirmed:
>>  Login works, and is required
>>  My tiddlers are being stored in the couchdb (I manually looked into
>> Couchdb to confirm)
>>  Updates to my tiddlers are being stored (I manually looked into Couchdb
>> to confirm)
>>  If I wipe out browser data (so the local database is empty) I can
>> restore from couchdb simply by putting the Noteself configuration settings
>> back into my hosted Noteself. It reloads from the couchdb server.
>>

> That's fantastic!
>

>> Where I run into a problem:
>>
>>  Adding TopLeftToolbar works but loads "funny".
>>
>> Adding the $:/tags/TopLeftBar tag to
>> $:/plugins/danielo515/tiddlypouch/ui/sync-flag
>> doesn't stick when saving "the Noteself way". This is to let me put the
>> sync flag on the top of the screen so I know if I'm logged-in and synced
>> without having to open the side-bar. I haven't found a way to make it stick
>> (yet).
>>

> What do you mean by, "the Noteself way" ? If you mean letting it go to the
> pouchdb database and then load it from there, then it may not work. Only
> certain tiddlers are loaded before TW boots, and after TW boots it is
> responsibility of tiddlywiki to load the required tiddlers. This sometimes
> is noticeable by seeing how certain elements appear on the screen after
> some seconds. Is this happening to you or it is not loaded at all ?

Yes, "the Noteself way" would be using pouchdb & couchdb.

> In any case, if you want to "hardcode" your customizations into the html
> file (which seems convenient in your case) there is a button on the control
> panel for that matter. Please take a look at the following screenshot:
>

> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z8cogUMKRFg/WWYx5idM1_I/AAAAAAAAX5M/459eKs_U6j8lpHfTVPrn5lTxW5951QBMwCLcBGAs/s1600/Captura%2Bde%2Bpantalla%2B2017-07-12%2B16.27.24.png>
> That button will download all the non user tiddlers into the html file
> that you can then host whenever you want. Give it a go and let me know how
> it goes.

I will give it a go. On a related note, do you think  you could add a
"caption" and "description" field to the sync-flag tiddler so they show up
properly in the settings?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/899082d0-7028-46bd-ac39-031ffcb2be19%40googlegroups.com.