I'm trying to understand your data flow. What are the contents of the
target field, and how do they differ from the title? If you put the title
into target, then your scenarios (e.g. <$link
to={{tiddlerToShow}}>{{tiddlerToShow}}</$link> and <$transclude
tiddler={{tiddlerToShow}}/>) work fine (goes to tiddler and pulls contents
respectively). This leads me to think that you have something other than
the title in the target field, in which case your problems have nothing to
do with the double slash.

Good luck,
Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/9c6d0caa-5cb2-44e3-9a9a-8a8d0a096e32%40googlegroups.com.