I guess you understand that the client and server are two separate
instances of TiddlyWiki?

When the client clicks save changes, the tiddler is saved to the wiki store
on the client and a change event is queued. The sync adapter gets called
with the changes allowing it to save them to where it needs to.

The sync adapter calls the server URL with the updated Tiddler data. The
server command is behind this and handles the request. The server command
updates the wiki store on the server, which "dirties" the server wiki store
and queues a change event. Once everything is saved to the server wiki
store, the wiki is marked clean and the checkbox turns grey.

On the server side, the file system sync adapter is the one that gets
called with the changes, which it saves to the file system.

The wiki object has an addEventListener handler that you can listen for
that change event on. You would want to run the startup module on the node
platform only if you are pushing change notifications to the client as I
described earlier.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Hope that helps,
Arlen