I’m getting what I want with this self-recurring template tiddler
“ancestors”:

<ul><$list filter="[is[current]tags[]]"><li>{{!!title}}</li>
{{||ancestors}}</$list></ul>

It shows a list of tags for the current tiddler and then transcludes itself
to show a list of tags for each of them, etc. until we run out of the
ancestors. Showing ancestor tree for a given tiddler is a matter of adding
{{||ancestors}} to that tiddler. Now it’s a matter of styling - adding
links, hiding buttons, etc. Hiding would require fiddling with the “state”
attribute for each node. Perhaps, I’ll live without it. This is good enough.

I knew it should be simple.
​

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/55d7785d-a199-44b4-b07c-a4589ec6a5bd%40googlegroups.com.