Mark and all,

Still no success, what ever is causing this intransigence of tiddlywiki,
whilst it may have something to do with my ignorance it is an example of
where tiddlywikis syntax and pecularities need review.

All I wanted for Christmas (not really) was the ability to provide a filter
into a list statement using fields and variables. nothing more.

See some of my experiments below, with alternate filter formats listed
until I change them.

I refactored the code so the list uses a value passed into a macro eg;
[is[current]tag[working]]

<$list filter="$menufilter$" variable=null>

also
<$list filter="<menufilter>" variable=null>

also
<$list filter="[prefix<menufilter>suffix<menufilter>]" variable=null>
is never true OR disrupts menubutton

is[current]tag[working]
Never true
<$list filter="[prefix<menufilter>suffix<menufilter>]" variable=null>

Always true
<$list filter="[<menufilter>]" variable=null>

Never true
<$list filter="[field:title<menufilter>]" variable=null>

Always true
<$list filter="field:title<menufilter>" variable=null>

[is[current]tag[working]]
<$list filter="field:title<menufilter>" variable=null>
Always true

<$list filter="[field:title<menufilter>]" variable=null>
Never true

Argggh
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/66634cf6-397c-488c-a513-0d729958c9a6%40googlegroups.com.