Nested spans can already be accomplished with HTML; the purpose of the @@
syntax is to provide a simpler, more concise alternative for the common
situations where nesting isn't required. Clearly, to support nesting we'd need
a syntax where it was possible to distinguish the opening of a span from the
closing; that would take us back to the same level of complexity as HTML itself.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston