Ciao Mark S.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I re-edited it and reordered it a bit,
without comments, though with added linkage to sources. Hope I have not
misrepresented your message? I think it tells its own story.

Best wishes, Josiah

Mark S. wrote:

> My circa 2012 devices are sluggish with TW, but usable in some situations.

SYNCTHING
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid)

> ... Syncthing *usually* works pretty well, though sometimes it needs to be
> restarted. The thing is, it's really overkill because it encrypts
> everything in transit.
>

> TW is not usually good for quick look-ups because loading time is so long.
> But it is OK for persistent reference (like a recipe or book passages)
> where you're going to have it on the same set of tiddlers for awhile. As an
> e-reader, it's slow to load. But then, so is Kindle (because Kindle always
> wants to check the net).
>
> For sending data back to the home machine, it's best if your TW app
> consists of checkboxes or small fields (like calorie counters, todo
> check-offs).

ANDTIDWIKI
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.mgsimon.android.andtidwiki&hl=en)

> TW loads most quickly and formats most correctly with AndTidWiki.
> AndTidWiki can still save.

 ... AndTidWiki will only allow you to have one TW open at a time, which is
> a problem if you want to go back and forth.

... Sometimes AndTidWiki won't be able to load a TW file. A trick I've
> learned is to go into the RAM manager and clear the memory. After that
> AndTidWiki will run OK.

ON FIREFOX...

> I'm not sure that the latest versions of FF can use any of the save
> extensions -- that shows how seldom I use TW on FF for input...

Firefox doesn't format correctly on my devices. In particular, when you
> zoom in on text the text goes off screen rather than formatting to the new
> edge.

> This is why I developed the Quick 8 app for changing fonts and saving
> their settings. But, with FF you can have multiple tabs open.

One of the biggest problems with Android apps, especially browsers, or at
> least on my devices, is that Android can decide at any time to close some
> "background" task. You can hop from a TW on FF to just take a quick peak at
> a phone log, weather report, or ebook, and when you pop back, your FF
> session has closed and you've lost all your tabs (but not always,
> mysteriously it sometimes remembers them). Then you have to find your
> bookmark, load your page, etc.

PERFORMANCE?

> In general, TW performance on Android is not as good as native apps like
> Simplenote, Evernote, etc.

The various improvements to TW have weighted it down to about 2.5 Megs --
> the size of a substantial reference ebook. And that's before any data is
> added.

... Perhaps there needs to be a TW-lite edition for small devices, though I
> don't know what features I would want to ditch.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f2bbdcb4-9c9e-4bab-9f0f-ed3b69ed9c22%40googlegroups.com.