I mark all those "future" items with priority "W" (for waiting). Then use
the filter to hide W items:

+[!priority[W]]

Although the W items are hid from the main todo list, they're not hidden
when you check "Today". So, once a day, when you check today's outstanding
tasks, you can change the priority to make the items visible again in the
main list.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3b2bda93-f0f6-4e57-b297-b0aefe0b323b%40googlegroups.com.