I believe Android made tweaks to the access system at 4.4 (causing
thousands of apps to stop functioning), 5, and 6. There are a lot of
subtleties. Like *apps* should be able to use the external drive for
private activities, even if the card hasn't been formatted for private use.
But your other apps won't be able to access that space, except through your
own application.

When they say they're concerned about "security", what they're really
trying to secure is *you*. Forget about hackers, what they really want is
to secure the system for DRM. When everything is served through custom
apps, it becomes much harder to offload or bootleg content. The upshot is
that they also want to wean us off the idea of "files". Internally,
everything needs to be handled through content "providers", rather than
simple files. In the future, there will be no more files, only services
from which videos can be played, music can be listened, documents can be
written, or books read. My understanding, such as it is, is that something
similar is happening with the Apple devices, so if you want to plug  in an
external device, you also have to run an app that can serve specific
content (videos, images, music) from those devices.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/903b3147-4bfb-48ed-b9e9-3bc75637b31c%40googlegroups.com.