On first thought, I would ensure a "backup" with a git script with a new
commit each hour. I could piece together something that worked. This would
give some security against bad actors.

I wonder if anyone has mad a plugin which functions as a "Trash" can for
deleted Tiddlers. Essentially deleted Tiddlers under node would be move
into a folder, rather than actually be deleted. They would then be pruned
on a regular basis.

About your idea for an overlay, I would think setting some fields in the
User Tiddler would be more persistent? And would allow settings to move
between browsers and devices.

Though it could make sense to add some state that is used for devices. One
example is the Cardo theme doesn't work well on phones, but works well on
Desktop. Some may want to change the theme on phone, instead of the Desktop.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4ff7a51b-36e6-4678-88ae-f38872f3f15b%40googlegroups.com.