CdK

Yes that is happening and this is what we would expect. It rather than use
period I do this myself we get the expected result.

test
test

I assume your fix is only adding the paragraph tags?

If I use the developer tools inspect I see this in the erroneous results

I think what is happening is a result of the Wiki text and html see
here https://tiddlywiki.com/#HTML%20in%20WikiText

Block mode versus Inline mode

To get the content of an HTML element to be parsed in block mode, the
opening tag must be followed by two linebreaks.

Without the two linebreaks, the tag content will be parsed in inline mode
which means that block mode formatting such as wikitext tables, lists and
headings is not recognised.

If you alter our test case as follows it behaves as expected.
.test
test
test

.test

Perhaps we need to force block mode

This demonstrates what I mean
.test
test
test
.test
<hr>
test
test

So in support of this and as an extension I suggested earlier we could use
a class

.parra {display: block}

test
test
Of course the style would be in a stylesheet.

And the designer could change the way our "period" paragraphs are styled.

Additional reference https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_inline-block.asp

Regards
Tony