On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 4:26:24 PM UTC-5, Cd.K wrote:

> coda coder wrote
>

>> ... innocent sloppy spaces which will "break" the flow. HTML deals with
>> sloppy spaces itself - something that's been around for what... >25 years?
>> This idea breaks that.
>>

> Have you ever heard of *DARING FIREBALL Markdown*?

No.

I think you think I didn't understand? I do understand your proposition.
The leading-period I *like*. The trailing space-space I don't like so much
(for the reasons I gave).

> And in HTML there is a tag to preserve white spaces: <pre> ... </pre>
>
> <pre>Text in a pre element
> is displayed in a fixed-width
> font, and it preserves
> both      spaces and
> line breaks</pre>
> (w3schools.com <https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_pre.asp>)

You might also want to try this css interactive demo:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/white-space

> coda coder wrote
>

>>  Reasoning: When copy-pasting external text, now I have to police the
>> text at the character level to watch for
>>

> *Which objects do you use in Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5 for your policing? *

My eyes. My cursor. Looking for space-space that (if your proposal were
adopted) would mess up my pasted external text. Admittedly, if it were a
'mode" of some kind, I could choose not to use it, of course. But really, I
was just pointing out a potential downside. There's nothing intrinsically
"wrong" with it.

> I'm trying to find the location in TiddlyWiki where the white spaces
> characters are removed from the <pre> tag. This happens before parsing. I
> found this while debugging so far: `$tw.Wiki.prototype.
> deserializeTiddlers`.
>
> But even here one space is missing. But this space is definitely present
> in the html file and also in the tiddler in edit mode.
>

> Can you help me out here too?

Sorry, I know nothing about tw internals or its implementation details.
Maybe "one day", when I have time ;)