Thanks all for you answers.

I see how I can control this now. I am interested for example in having two
lots of config tiddlers ((plugins with the same tiddlers with different
values) and providing a way to "toggle" between them. Other uses include
alternative datasets and test data. Use the small set for design then the
second for more exhaustive testing, and the ability to toggle.

The fact is that the possibility of an edited shadow overriding both, has
both merits and complications. Perhaps I can build into the plugins the
means by which to activate and deactivate each other including removing any
matching edited tiddlers. After all in this case we thats what we want, to
disable any override and establish a new epoch.

This prompts me to ask if it makes sense to add to the plugin delete or
deactivation processes an option to clean up?

I imagine in some cases a tiddlywiki used for experimentation could be full
of unwanted plugin tiddlers that changed while installed, due to a
configuration setting or customisation.

Another idea is to access the subtiddlers in a selected plugin (one of two)
and copy them to the edited tiddler when toggling the settings. Thus the
latest will be the last plugin source used to create the edited tiddlers.
This could be a general button on any plugin tiddler (or built into the
plugin settings), copy all shadows to tiddlers, along with a button to
clean up such edited tiddlers.

Thanks
Tony