Thanks, TonyM!

Since my last posting, I continued testing and searching. Now, I have this:

<$tiddler tiddler="John 3">
<$list variable="line"
filter="[all[tiddlers]fields[]nsort[title]]+[range[3,5]]">
</$list>
</$tiddler>

Now, sorting is correct (nsort). And I managed to get just the range of
fields I want as a result (range[3,5]).

The next step will be to put all this in a macro, to make it work
everywhere.