Hi all,

I would like to propose change of our default version control system -
from SVN to Git. Let me try to explain main advantages of such change.

1. Easier development of new major features

Development of major features is quite ugly in SVN. Even if we create
a branch and then merge it, it usually consists of huge number of
commits in random order, many of them revert or modify earlier
patches. It obviously makes further review of patches harder.

In Git it is pretty easy to do development in local branch and then
send patches when they are really ready. Patches could be very easily
restructured so development history looks nicer and patch review is
very straight-forward because changes can be logically separated and
each change is already done and you don't have to look if some next
commit doesn't modify same part of code.

2. "Regression hunting" is far more easier

Sometimes we get report that "something worked in previous version but
now doesn't". When I would like to check which commit introduced
regression I have to use git-svn utility and then use git-bisect.
Without Git it's quite hard to find which commit caused problems.

3. No Internet, no development

Every operation, like print of development history or print diff
between specific revisions need Internet connectivity. Without
access to central SVN repository development is quite hard.
Additionaly I hate when I have to wait for every operation with
repository. It is simply annoying.

4. Authorship of patches

There is no possibility to keep authorship of patch in SVN. If someone
send us a patch then commit author is someone of us. We can only
mention in commit message that patch author is person X. With Git you
can easily preserve original authorship.

I believe there are far more arguments for Git which I didn't mention
above - in my opinion it is far more better version control system for
projects than SVN.

Comments are welcomed :)

Regards, Adam

--