Hi,

I checked and the minimum version for gettext is 0.14.4. The crucial
point is if gettext.m4 contains code like "return (int) gettext (..."
(fails on 64bit) or "return * gettext (..." (works on 64bit).

I updated my CentOS4.9 VM with

http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/5/source/SRPMS/gettext-0.14.5-3.src.rpm

I used "rpm --rebuild" to build it on 4.9, installed it, ran "autoreconf
-fi" in the tigervnc sources and copied these sources to my
SLES11SP1/x86_64 machine. "configure --enable-nls" then worked fine and
"make/make install" created the *.mo files.

Franz.