On 9/24/13 7:49 AM, Brian Hinz wrote:
> I do my best to maintain the java client such that it parallels the
> binary client very closely, in most cases all the way down to the coding
> style.  So most of the primary differences are in the supported
> SecurityTypes (the java viewer supports a few beyond what the binary
> client does, primarily because "I" need it to).  Additionally, the java
> client has to support some modes of operation that don't make sense in
> the context of the binary viewer (applet mode).  Beyond that, the only
> real deficiency that I can think of is that the binary client probably
> has better support for multi-head setups.  That could be remedied
> however, DRC has done it for the TurboVNC java viewer which shares a
> similar code base.

One of the other major differences in Java vs. C++ is performance.
Putting aside for the moment the fact that the C++ TigerVNC viewer is
tortuously slow on OS X (an order of magnitude slower than it should be)
because of some unknown FLTK issue, on most platforms the C++ viewer is
going to be as much as 3x faster than Java because of the use of
libjpeg-turbo to accelerate JPEG decoding.  This is something else we've
addressed in TurboVNC's fork of the Java viewer-- by calling
libjpeg-turbo through JNI.  Doing such creates distribution and
packaging challenges, though.