From: "michael taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS PRN vs SV...??
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:12:29 -0500

Michael,

Oh... hat's off for putting us straight!

> On Feb 9, 2008 4:58 PM, Bruce Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > This indicates that the receiver can see SVN 23 (PRN 32) with no difficulty.
> > However for a supposedly 8 channel receiver it sees 11 SVs??
>
> I suspect that as long as less than 8 SV are being tracked (6 in your
> sample), it only needs one channel to "not" track the other 5 SV. The
> not tracked SV are not necessary being updated in a timely fashion so
> a one or more unused channels could be used to cycle through all SVs /
> PRNs from the almanac to look for new SV visibility and see if any of
> the not tracked SV have become suitable to track.

Actually, this look exactly like the Z3801A state-view. Notice that the 5 other
birds are not tracked at all, they are just known to be in the sky view and
when there is a free channel or better geometry it swaps an old bird out and
toss in the best selection in the view. Only then it makes attempts to track
it.