I have done the test under power with a logic probe with no pulses either. Nevertheless, this looks like a mechanical encoder, see the attached diagram from the schematic. Only 3 connections, ground, and two switch outputs. The part is listed as manufactured by WaveTek. Any standardization in the encoder market, i.e. if I can find an encoder that fits the circuit board and the front panel dimensions correctly, is there a good chance I could replace this
with an off the shelf part?

I have to say I'm shocked to hear that optical encoders were made with light bulbs -- haven't LEDs been viable since at least the early 70's? Talk about planned obsolescence...

RE the poor quality caps -- it looks like the electrolytics are all NIC or Panasonic, not a no-name cap. Still, I've seen my share of balky electrolytics. I was just hoping someone had fixed this particular problem
before and could point to a likely component to try first.

Scott

Didier Juges wrote:
It is not clear from your post if you did that test while under power or
not.

This is probably a Rotary Optical Encoder. It may need 5V to power the LEDs
or light bulb that activate opto-sensors, so you probably need power applied
and use a scope to check the outputs. Also, some devices only generate short
pulses on the outputs which will never show with a multimeter (I have a
Kenwood radio that does that), you would need a scope. If you do not get anything, it may be that the light bulb inside is dead.
This is a common problem on HP gear of that vintage.

Didier KO4BB

<<inline: rotary.png>>