I see Ulrich was sending the message below as I was composing the other message I just sent. I think we have both given information about the serial connection that should be helpful.

Please note one thing that I included in my other message, that I confirmed tonight. The Z3805A serial port defaults to 9600 8 N 1 but all of those parameters can be changed with commands. The PC software must be configured to match or there will be no communication. I didn't power-cycle my Z3805 but I assume if I changed the port parameters and then powered off/on the z3805, it would probably retain this new port configuration.

Ulrich Bangert wrote:
Bob,

even without a computer connected the beast should do SOMETHING. In
conjunction with a pc and a running communication it is easier to judge WHAT
it currently does.
To establish communication first find out what pinning the RS232 connector
has: with the negative cable (black) of a voltmeter connected to Pin 7 of
the RS232 connector check pins 2 & 3 with the positive cable (red) for the
presence of a NEGATIVE voltage of a few Volts. If you can measure a negative
voltage on one of the pins, you have successfully identified the Z3805's
TRANSMIT pin. The other pin of 2/3 is the receive pin.
Then solder a cable in this way

Z3805 Transmit pin  -> Pin 2 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)
Z3805 Receive pin   -> Pin 3 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)
Z3805 Ground (7) -> Pin 5 of pc RS232 port (9 pole D-Sub assumed)
Should you have a 25 pin connector for RS232 at your pc then the cable is

Z3805 Transmit pin  -> Pin 3 of pc RS232 port
Z3805 Receive pin -> Pin 2 of pc RS232 port Z3805 Ground (7) -> Pin 7 of pc RS232 port

No other connection is needed. With a cable like this start Z38XX and check
that you that you choose the correct Com-Port for communication in the
Parameters window. And yes, I know, being an owner of a Z3805 I should know
exactly but I don't remember the day that I made the cable and I currently
cannot access the back of my Z3805.
Best regards
Ulrich Bangert