The Doppler is dramatically reduced by looking only at the WAAS bird(s).

John WA4WDL

From: "J. Forster" <j...@quik.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 1:27 PM
To: <bro...@pacific.net>; "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] GPS backup for the stationary time and frequencyuser

I've been half following this thread and can't make out the reason for a
less than hemispheric antenna pattern. GPS needs several birds to lock up,
and if you look at a single bird, Dopplar will make the signal useless as
a frequency reference.

Best,

-John

=============

Hi Jim:

I've got a spare Ku band satellite dish and would like to use it for GPS.
In an ideal application the GPS antenna would be mounted in the normal
manner and above it would be a sub-reflector aimed at the Ku dish.
That way the antenna might pickup sats near the horizon directly and
from a narrow part of the sky by means of the dish.
The dish might be aimed at a WAAS GPS sat.
I've heard that you can just use the TV dish with a normal GPS antenna,
and it gas gain even though the polarization is reversed.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com

jimlux wrote: