On 9/25/11 3:26 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

javier.serrano.par...@gmail.com said:
A fiber-based time-transfer would be nice complementary as it would provide
an independent timing path.
Any ideas on how to proceed? This is unknown territory for me.

You can get a lot of good ideas from the radio astronomers.  It's been
discussed here in the past, but I don't know what terms to use when searching
the archives.  I think it was mostly pointers to their papers.  They were
interested is much shorter distances.  I think it was 10-20 km.

The idea is to send a signal in both directions over the same fiber.  If it's
the same fiber, the transit times are likely to be the same in both
directions.  If you send a pulse out and back, you can assume the time the
pulse arrived at the far end was half the round trip time after it left the
start.

Whatever you do, it will require a lot of cooperation from the people who own
the fibers.

The Deep Space Network do lots of this kind of thing for interferometry.