On 2012/04/20 13:44, time-nuts-requ...@febo.com wrote:
For a high end example showing external influences causing small freq
variation, see the swinging OSC test  at
http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tpll/swing.gif

Neat!  Is there a page explaining a bit more about it?

I was summarizing the Hafele-Keating experiment to my brother the other day -- just bullshitting, really, 'cause I barely know what's going on here myself -- so it occurs to me to wonder. Acceleration is probably the cause, but a mechanical effect in the oscillator, "something tightened in cockpit"? Surely not a relativistic effect. Not at 18 inches. (This is where we figure out that I grasp the concepts, but can't actually do the problems.)