On 7/5/2012 9:49 AM, Randy D. Hunt wrote:
On 7/4/2012 11:09 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
Don wrote:

the fet breakdown voltage has of course got to be high enough.

If the nuvistor is used as a common-cathode or common-grid amplifier, you can cascode the fet with a bipolar to extend its drain voltage range. You will need to come up with an appropriate bias source for the bipolar. Generally, you would want at least 10-15 volts across the FET channel.

Choose an appropriate JFET (transconductance, drain current, and gate-drain voltage similar to the nuvistor at the nuvistor's operating point). You can add degeneration (source resistance) to lower the FET's transconductance if it is higher than the nuvistor's.

Best regards,

Charles

I have a PDF document that covers this for Fetrons. This is from Teledyne. It shows some of the more common tube replacements with the circuit and actual device number. Let me know if you would like a copy and I will sent it to you. Or, maybe a better option would be to upload it to something like Didiers site. . .

Randy

Yes do upload it. I have some Fetrons and want to know what they replace. And in my other life, I ordered some custom Fetrons to replace some WE tubes that was used in WE K carrier. If you don't upload it, send a copy.

Bill K7NOM