On 8/6/12 10:43 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Jim Lux <jim...@earthlink.net> wrote:

what would be useful is to have some sort of "plotting engine" that is a
canned webpage (or stored locally on the user/client computer) that can
ingest fairly raw data from a URL..

something, conceptually, like this:

<BODY>
*invocation of plotting engine*

data value 1
data value 2
data value 3

</BODY>

What you are saying is that the data needs to be rendered to a graphic
locally.   I think the simplest way is to create vector based plots on the
server (I've used GNU Plot inside a CGI script) but there is a system to
pretty much what you are asking for.  http://code.google.com/p/flot/

Somehow, I don't think running Gnuplot on a Arduino is feasible. ABout all it can do is respond to the HTTP "Get" with the right page.

That's why I want to push the hard work of doing the rendering onto the client (i.e. the browser). The comm link is fast, and an SD card on the Arduino can hold tons of stuff, so serving a page containing 100kbytes of Java or similar isn't a problem. But doing any computation is probably not in the picture.