Sarah, Jim,

On 10/18/2012 02:26 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 10/17/12 4:48 PM, Sarah White wrote:
... Basically, this way I won't have to consider any waterproofing for
the antenna, and just hope that if lightning strikes it goes for the
exhaust vent dome thingy instead... Ah well whatever. My plan remains
unchanged in this regard --- it is going to be in one of the
south-facing (roof is angled) skylight windows.

And that's with a $6 navigation GPS thingy (USB puck-type NMEA-only)

That's navigation... Timing mode only needs "1 satellite lock" after
all, and I suspect I will at minimum be able to get needed "1
satellite lock" with nearly any active GPS antenna.

Ah, but this is Time-Nuts.. are you sure you don't need 1E-13
performance? You may not think you do today, but inevitably, the
horrible uncertainty in your time stamps will gnaw at your innermost
soul, and pretty soon, you'll be building choke rings, wrapping your $6
receiver in an oven, cobbling together some weird combination of surplus
parts.

Hear! Hear!

As time-nuts, we try to get the best possible performance for least possible cost. Then again, we oldies should recall that new-comers still need to get started. We should give them advice that gives them a good start while not spending too much money on a solution which isn't sufficiently expandable into the future.

We should have a wiki for FAQ and references.