Gang,

I have two DATUM 9390-52054 Disciplined Oscillators that use a Vectron International model 716Y2690 crystal oscillator module. One of the two units is showing 10 kHz sidebands about 35 dB down from the main 10 MHz carrier, and looking at them on my spectrum analyzer, they appear to be modulated whereas the main 10 MHz signal looks clean. The other unit is not showing these sidebands. Listening to the sidebands I'm hearing what might be data.

I first became aware of this problem a week or so ago when using the "defective" unit as the reference for my off-air frequency measurement service (see: www.biwa.cc) It was diluting my precision, so I suppose it is the same as phase noise. Anyway, I'm looking for any application notes on this module and also wondering if anyone else has experienced such problems.

I've swapped the power supply with the good unit and the problem stays with the original defective unit. I'm thinking the real problem may be filter or bootstrap filter caps on the defective unit's circuit board. I really need to probe the control and supply voltages going to the oscillator module to be sure they are clean.

I'm also looking for another oscillator module. I've got a call into Vectron, but so far, no return call from them.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Burt, K6OQK

Burt I. Weiner Associates