Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:48:38 -0800
From: Ed Breya <e...@telight.com>

Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Vectron GPSDO Oscillator stranges...

Can you completely swap the Vectron crystal oscillator modules between
the Datum units? Maybe the fault lies in the other part. If they are
GPSDOs, each must have a DAC somewhere driving the tuning control line
to the VCXO, The 10 kHz may be the DAC serial data rate, or a PWM rate
for fine tuning. A fault in that area could cause the sidebands. Maybe
you really did hear "data." If you can hang a fairly large (several uF
or more) plastic capacitor on the tuning line without causing the whole
thing to oscillate, you may be able to observe a decrease in the
sideband amplitude - a sure indicator that the tuning signal carries the
problem.

Ed

Oops - regarding that capacitance test on the tuning line, I meant to
say "up to several uF or more." You can start small to see if there's
any effect. It all depends on the impedance of the tuning line
circuitry, and the existing amount of filtering - you may need quite a
bit of C to swamp it out and show a noticeable effect. You're not
looking for necessarily "normal" or perfectly-settled operation under
the test condition, just the relative effect on the sidebands.

Ed

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.