On 9/14/13 6:20 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
The math I am familiar with, seems to have mostly developed around
master-slave arrangements associated with radar pulses and (as you point
out) TV. In the MIT Rad Lab series there are some single-purpose treatments
but a good summary is Millman & Taub, "Pulse and Digital Circuits". Their
approach is largely graphical but in several cases (especially relaxation
oscillator coupled to a pulse or sine-wave circuit) they have analytic
results. They also treat sine wave oscillators, getting all the way to
phase detectors driving integrators driving reactance tubes (I think we
would call this a true PLL today).

There's a whole literature and books on "coupled oscillator arrays".

They've been proposed (and prototypes built) for things like beam steering. You have an array of VCOs that are coupled, and you put a bias on the VCOs at the edge, and the rest of the array nicely fills in the middle.

Take a look for papers by York (at UCSB) and Pogorzelski (recently retired from JPL)

The book is "coupled oscillator based array antennas"
http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/Monograph/series11/CoupledOsc_20110804.pdf

Chapter by chapter at
http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/Monograph/series11_chapter.cfm?force_external=0

All the coupled oscillator math is in there. I'm pretty sure Pogo has matlab codes to simulate it if you were to ask. p...@ieee.org