On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Lars Walenius
<lars.walen...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Chris, about using one Arduino for two GPSDO controllers:
>
> Even if a microcontroller has lots of capacity I would recommend to use
> separate controllers for each oscillator. One of the reasons is what Tom van
> Baak said about using only one interrupt to avoid jitter and even if you
> trigger both channels from the same PPS and have just one interrupt you will
> have a problem that you can´t read two ADC´s at the same time.

You don't have to read both at the same time.  All you need is to have
a constant time between the interrupt and when you read the ADC. That
constant can be any reasonable number so long as it remains constant

> Even the HC390 I wouldn´t use for two different oscillators to prevent
> crosstalk. Both the processor and HC390 is so cheap it isn´t worth the risk
> IMO.

Risk?  It's easy to measure.  Risk is when you don't know what is
going to happen.  But in this case we can test.

> Actually I would also recommend to put them in separate boxes even if it is
> more work  (and I´m lazy ) to get best performance.

I think you might be addressing pico seconds on a system that works in
the few nano seconds range.    A serial commanded Rb oscillator moves
in such large steps that I'm 100% sure the step quantization error
will dominate everything.  The step size is something like 5E-11.  But
the stability I expect will be very good.

> Having two GPSDO´s that you can compare is very nice as long as you
> understand how they correlate , if that is not what you want to test. Of
> course you can also set one or both in hold mode to test them freerunning.
>

> I have thought of connecting the M12 to the Arduino and if someone can help
> with code to get the sawtooth correction value into the Arduino and decoded I
> would be glad to have it.

I'm looking for an OCXO.  Not much reason to start before I find one.
 People are over bidding on eBay for 30 year old salvage parts.
eventually I'll win one at a reasonable price.   Then I'll write up my
results.   In the mean time I've started a wholesale refactoring of
the posted Arduino code.  I need t make it  a bit more modular and
"testable."

I have an Motorola Oncore UT+ type GPS.  I think it might have the
same sawtooth.    I'm pretty sure there is code in the standard NTP
distribution to read the Oncore type data and (maybe sawtooth???)   I
plan to read the NTP drivers and borrow whatever is usable.

I did just build and finish testing a serial interfaced LCD display.
Now I can display states using just two Arduino pins.  (Without the
serial interface an LCD takes 6 to 10 pins)  I'm using I2C so I can
add other devices to the same serial interface, like a DAC or whatever

> Lars
>

> From: Chris Albertson
>

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Didier Juges <shali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom and Bob,
>> It is not obvious to me that it is "easier" to simply apply a correction in
>> nS increments with a range as wide as 100nS. How is this done? Using
>> switched delay lines or delay gates?
> Here is my plan for processing saw tooth data.  If it's not going to
> work I'd rather hear about it now then a month from now after I've put
> in some effort.
> This is going into Lars' Arduino based GPSDO.  Every second I read the
> voltage on a TIC capacitor.  This tells by the phase in nanoseconds
> between the PPS and the OCXO.  Then I add whatever the current GPS
> sawtooth value is to whatever my TIC said.   I compare this to a set
> point.  This is the phase error.  The OCXO is adjusted based on a
> filtered version of this error.
> So in short, I don't correct even try to delay the pulse.  I don't see
> any need to do that.  I measure the pulse and get a number in
> nanoseconds.  then I use sawtooth to correct the number.
> It seems way-hard and with no purpose to correct the pulse and then
> measure it.  Better to correct the measurement.  I think it is more
> accurate too a delay could never be perfect.
> The controller has LOT of spare capacity so I don't see way I can't
> add one of more TIC channels and a few more DACs  I should be able to
> discipline an OCXO and my Rb  oscillator from the same GPS PPS input.
>  The 74HC360 is only 1/2 used an Arduino has enough spare pins.  Any
> one more 74HC4046 and some passive parts would be required to build a
> dual channel GPSDO.
> It will be interesting to look at andompare the 10MHz outputs of two
> oscillators that are being disciplined by the same controller and GPS
> receiver.
>
> --
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California