Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Loran, GPS, Lightning, Timing

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:34 PM, DaveH <i...@blackmountainforge.com> wrote:

I also searched for "Lightning" and found nothing about detecting nearby
strikes, only about protection. Searched from around 1980 back through
1940.

There are a number of products on the market that make use of lightning
detection and ranging. The BF Goodrich "Stormscope" is based on that. There have to be some documents around on its design. It is, in essence, a LF ADF
and somehow qualifies the envelope to deduce range to the strike which it
then displays to the pilot.

--
Brian Lloyd
Lloyd Aviation