On 8/10/14, 5:41 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

Keep in mind that it’s relatively cheap (big company wise) to get a patent. It’s only got
major value once the courts uphold it as valid. That process costs real money. I’ve seen
a variety of estimates on how many patents get issued that would never stand up to
challenge. None of the estimates I’ve seen have been below 50%, some are a lot higher.
Since the patents for "sunscreen that’s only useful on the moon" also get
tossed into some of the estimates, who knows what the real numbers are.

Often the protection process becomes a “we have 689 patents on this gizmo” sort
of thing. Even if 99% of them are bunk, it will cost you a lot to prove that.
You still would have to pay based on the 1% that turn out to be valid. The net
result is a system that never challenges (and clears out) the junk.

Or, "we have 689 patents and you have 325 patents, so let's cross license our pools"