On 11/27/14, 7:07 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
For a hobbyist doing things a few at a time, what advantage is there to
buying RF transformers made by Mini-circuits etc., vs winding them using
commonly available ferrite cores/binocular cores?

Probably depends on the frequency ranges and such. The commercial transformers are very small, and probably have more consistent properties.

If I needed to do a production run of 1000+ boards with tiny SMT
transformers, sure, no problem buying them from mini-circuits or a
distributor etc. But for hobbyist stuff seems far more flexible to wind
them onesy-twosy using not so tiny cores and windings selected for the
particular application.

Sure.. it's a trade time for money situation.

OTOH, most hobby tinkerers are not going to fabricate semiconductor devices like MMICs (although I'm sure there's a [semi-fab-nuts] list out there for folks who have a 3" wafer line in their garage).