Hi,

Well, if you can avoid reception from ground you avoid both handling reflexes as well as the thermal noise (300K vs. 3K).

You can't have higher antenna gain, since you want to receive fairly omni-directional above the horizon, with maybe the first 5-10 degrees nulled out.

What however is important is the noise-figure and gain of the LNA in the antenna. You want sufficient gain to make sure that antenna cable damping is handled and that the GPS signal is sufficiently above the internal noise of the actual receiver. I have installed low-loss cable to make sure the damping in manageable.