Jim,

Why cut it open? It is relatively easy to measure just by power the oscillator up. Just in this thread is an echo of a discussion we had many years ago that explains the method.

The temperature curve for AT, BT and SC-cut is known and quite different, so just measure the heat-up curve from room temperature to oven temperature will be distinct for these types. I think the IT-cut can also be identified uniquely this way.

If you have the crystal blank, you can use X-ray to see the crystal-orientation.