Hello Michael
> Thinking out loud, I wonder how bad L1-only, post-processed, would be for
> time-nuts use? Especially with a timing-grade antenna (e.g. the common
> Trimble Bullet). Dual frequency is great when your receiver has the potential
> to move, you have to resolve carrier phase ambiguity quickly, or you don't
> have a reference station (CORS) nearby. (O.T. I was out hiking in Washington
> state recently, and *accidentally* happened upon my local CORS station, so I
> guess that's no issue for me :-)). But for many time-nuts, I wonder how badly
> a timing-grade antenna, something with raw carrier phase output (which you
> get very cheaply these days), and a stable enough local clock to allow you
> average out local weather.

There was a related discussion a month ago
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2016-June/098484.html
and I posted a plot
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/attachments/20160616/cb2801b0/attachment.png
which might be helpful.

As you can see, the improvement from raw 1 pps to a full carrier-phase
solution with IGS rapid orbits and clock solutions is not enormous,
just a factor of 4 in stability. BIPM does a bit better with TAI PPP,
eg ftp://ftp2.bipm.org/pub/tai/publication/timelinks/taippp/1606/
maybe 30% or so. (To be completely fair, the raw 1 pps is from a $10K
GPS receiver with a very good sawtooth correction so there may be a
bit more of an improvement at averaging times less than 1000 s or so)

There are a few more plots of L1 receiver performance at:
http://www.openttp.org/scripts/blog.php

> For time-nut use, I don't see any harm in using post-processing for
> evaluation/measurement of clocks.

This is exactly how most of the clocks contributing to UTC are linked
together across the world.

Cheers
Michael