> On another note,  I did some jitter measurements on  Jupiter-T and Jupiter-T
> Pico receivers.
> I can't imagine how they do it, but those things are insanely good.   Running
> at 9600 baud,
> their message jitter into a hardware serial port is less than a millisecond
> peak-peak!
> Somebody paid a LOT of attention to getting the message timing consistent...

Mark,

Here's another data point for all you modern serial oversampling UART jitter
people --

The cute little 8-pin 12F675 PIC's that I use for my picPET and picDIV projects
don't even have a UART. So all RS232/TTL serial output or input is done with
bit-banging in assembly code. You may laugh at that. But one advantage is that
serial processing is accurate down to 1 cycle. That is, you can output the
start bit on the exact cycle you want. And for input, you can timestamp the
start bit down to 1 cycle.

I agree this approach has limited appeal these days, but my point is that
old-style bit-banging serial IO does have certain time nut advantages. You can
effectively treat serial IO like IRIG; that is, both the alignment of the start
bits (clock edges) and the content of the bytes (ascii data) are used to
transfer the time.

Again, this is why I can make sub-us measurements of NMEA jitter by just using
a picPET. The start bit of the first byte of the first NMEA sentence is an edge
and the picPET happily converts it to a precise UTC timestamp.

/tvb