Hi Guys,

This is a little outside of time-nuts scope, but not by much.  I'm interested
in finding the time between two rising edges above a set threshold with
preferably nS or high ps timing accuracy.  Can this be simply done with a few
programmed Microchip PICs or with a good short term OCXO clock?  The issue I
see is that a 10Mhz timing reference with 1 cycle difference in time yields
100ns resolution, which is far too large, so maybe a PIC can solve this.

This weekend project would be a multi-element antenna array, each with a
super-fast response log peak power detector fed into several PICs for time of
arrival.  Whenever a nearby high energy RF pulse is detected, the time of
arrival between two antenna elements and hence the direction toward the TX
could be roughly computed.  Some typical log peak detectors have an 8ns input
pulse response time, so I'm hoping that rise times are similar between multiple
detectors, negating the delayed response.

There are time of arrival/AoA systems out there with synthetic doppler, phased
arrays, correlative interferometers, and phase comparators, but it would be
interesting to accomplish super wideband AoA timing on two rising pulses with
relatively cheap parts.

Thanks,

-Jerome