On 10/22/2016 9:22 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:

You have to remember what this thing replaces.   In ham radio, some people
are using vacuum tube oscillators with mechanical variable capacitor
tuning.  Maybe some advanced rigs use gear drive on the capacitor shaft to
allow more exact tuning  This Si chip is considerably better then 1940's
technology.
I guess my WW-II vintage BC342 receiver (that I started with and still own) was "advanced". It has an extensive gear train for tuning.

On the other hand my two Elecraft K3s are full of DDS and microprocessors but no variable capacitors.

Flex radios, are direct sampling SDR and newer ones offer GPS stabilization.